Indian Child Welfare Services (Title IV-B)

Indian Child Welfare is funded through Self-Governance and provides services to Miami Tribal children and families that support the Indian Welfare Act. We currently assist children involved in at-risk, abuse and neglect cases.

All assistance is governed by federal law and requires all applicants to meet eligibility guidelines in order to receive assistance.  All applicants must be Native American, must meet income guidelines and must live in the 50-mile service area to be eligible, among other eligibility guidelines specific to each program. Note:  Each applicant must provide a complete application before application will be considered for approval. Miami Tribal Members receive preference. Due to limited funding, assistance is not guaranteed.

For more information, contact Corinna Campbell-Green ICW Coordinator, at 918-541-1381. Please see full office contact information at the bottom of this page.

Vision Statement

The goal of the Miami Tribe of Oklahoma’s Social Services Department is to promote the well-being for all Miami Tribal families and children, within the service area, with the exception of Indian Child Welfare.  The Miami Tribe of Oklahoma’s Indian Child Welfare Department places special emphasis on children designated being at risk, as well as the promotion of foster and adoptive families. It also provides services to enrolled and eligible tribal members nationwide when involved in an ICWA case.

Foster Care

Every year, a quarter of a million children come into foster care in this country. Many of them will be placed in group homes or other group residential settings because there are simply not enough foster families to care for all of the children.

Foster parents play a critical role in helping children heal. They show children stability and teach them life lessons that last a lifetime—and potentially affect future generations.

A Foster Care Application is available for download below:

Divorce Custody

Divorce custody matters are not a part of the Indian Child Welfare Act.  For more information on the Indian Child Welfare Act, please visit

Report Child Abuse

A report can be made to any county office of the Department of Human Services. Child abuse can also be reported 24 hours per day, seven days per week by calling the statewide child abuse hotline. Statewide Child Abuse Hotline: 800-522-3511

If you should have additional questions or concerns about a child that may be at risk, please contact Corinna Campbell-Green 918-961-1381 or Trina Graysonl 918-541-1383

Indian Child Welfare Services FAQ

Q:  What is ICWA, and why was it passed?

A:  "ICWA" stands for the Indian Child Welfare Act, which is a federal law passed in 1978. ICWA was passed in response to the alarmingly high number of Indian children being removed from their homes by both public and private agencies. The intent of Congress under ICWA was to "protect the best interests of Indian children and to promote the stability and security of Indian tribes and families" (25 U.S.C. § 1902). ICWA sets federal requirements that apply to state child custody proceedings involving an Indian child who is a member of, or eligible for membership in, a federally recognized tribe. Child custody proceedings under ICWA include hearings focused on foster care placement, termination of parental rights, adoption, and placements related to status offenses. Status offenses are actions committed by a child that if committed by an adult would not be deemed a criminal act, such as truancy from school or being incorrigible.

Q: Can ICW intervene in private custody matters?

A:  No

Q: Can ICW hire an attorney for private custody matters?

A: No

Q: Can ICW take custody away from the Department of Human Services (DHS)?

A:  ICW has the discretion to ask for a transfer but a parent, caseworker, or either Judge of state or CFR court may object to the transfer.

Q: How do I become a foster/adoptive parent?

A:  Contact the ICW office to request a foster care/adoption packet, the applicant must pass a criminal background check, fingerprinting, and home study.

Q: Is there a cost for becoming an adoptive parent?

A:  No

Q: Do grandparents have the right to get visitation when a grandchild is taken into the custody of DHS?

A:  No. In the State of Oklahoma, the Supreme Court has ruled that grandparents do not have visitation rights.

Q: Does ICW intervene on behalf of the parents?

A:  No. ICW intervenes and advocates for the best interest of the child.

Q: How does ICWA affect a child's case?

A: When ICWA applies to a child's case, the child's tribe and family will have an opportunity to be involved in decisions affecting services and placements for the Indian child..

ICW Office Contacts

Corinna Campbell-Green
ICW Coordinator
Cell: 918-325-9078
Office: 918-541-1381

trina Grayson
Assistant ICW Coordinator
Cell: 918-961-1395
Office: 918-541-1383
Fax: 918-542-6448